Question

Instructor Notifications for a course completed

• 16 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Anyone use this notification? Can I ask? How do you establish a person as an instructor for an elearning course? My goal is to make “an office” listen to that instructor message for everytime a learner has completed the course.

I can trigger daily reporting to the group - but a message would be a bit more real time and elegant.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We have a Slack channel with course completion notifications for all courses. Not for any reporting, but rather allowing our customer and partner reps to quickly find if their contacts used the learning content. 

There are tons of messages on that channel, having them in a mailbox would flood it quickly.

We only use instructor notifications for mandatory courses, but rather for escalations if someone is not doing things on time, than as a confirmation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you Alek,

@alekwo - A question have you used the instructor email to let an office know when a person fails a test? We are working hard to understand if we can get a test that will trigger an email when someone fails it. This one has been eluding me and I am ready to do some SCORM magic - but it will involve another system to do that secondary trigger of a notification to an office - something does not sound right to me with that.

I knocked around in the consultant space, and I got a note back for something less elegant than I can tolerate off-hand.

This is a rather special use case where a notification in the system can help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi, no, I see that there is an out of the box notification “Learner completed or failed a test in a course”, but I didn’t explore this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yep me too - ok I am gonna give it a shot and see what happens...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

So a followup? I actually got it to work...but I am findng an interesting behavior. As I was testing? I purposely failed and then passed the test in a course. When the instructor is assigned to the course -for example “Learner completed or failed a test in a course”? And they are “scoped in” to receive notifications? They can.

BUT for some reason? The notification picked up on the test attempts in what seems like an erroneous way.

My first fails came across as a pass - as if the first test score / attempt score was immediately overwritten by the 2nd attempt score. The messaging also seemed to be extremely delayed. I have noticed latency concerns all day up here in the North East - I thought perhaps that was the root cause.

My understanding was that the notification would send along a fail score as well as a pass score...a general question - is there a setting that is making that behavior with tests?????