Archiving Processing Time

• 18 October 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi - How is your experience with the archiving feature? It takes so long to archive enrollments (Archive and Unenroll), about 5 seconds per record, and I have over 17k records to archive and enroll right after. Aside from that, archiving continues to abort. 😞 The reason I did not Archive and Re-enroll is because of the due date and the course is also used for new hire enrollment rule which has a different time options set. Any best practices on this feature? Thank you!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@jlreonal While it isn’t a one-and-done approach, you could Archive/Reenroll, and then go thru those enrollments and use Edit Enrollment to adjust the due dates. You can do the Edit Enrollment in batches

I have done a few 1000+ Archive/Unenrolls and haven’t noticed toooo slow of a response. It is doing two rather hefty operations in one go, so I wouldn’t expect it to be lighting fast, especially with a really large list of enrollments.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@jlreonalWhile it isn’t a one-and-done approach, you could Archive/Reenroll, and then go thru those enrollments and use Edit Enrollment to adjust the due dates. You can do the Edit Enrollment in batches

I have done a few 1000+ Archive/Unenrolls and haven’t noticed toooo slow of a response. It is doing two rather hefty operations in one go, so I wouldn’t expect it to be lighting fast, especially with a really large list of enrollments.

I thought about that too, however, when I tried changing or removing the time options, it affected the due date of new hires enrolled via enrollment rule into that course. I guess we need to allot a day for the archiving and another day for enrollment. :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jlreonal when we initially tried this last year, it was a slow process...we had about the same number of records and it took hours to get the job done...We do have other processes tuning every 15 min so those were all stalled while this was running...we alerted Docebo to this but haven't had any updates since.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@jlreonal when we initially tried this last year, it was a slow process...we had about the same number of records and it took hours to get the job done...We do have other processes tuning every 15 min so those were all stalled while this was running...we alerted Docebo to this but haven't had any updates since.

Yeah even if I created a group with only 2k records to archive, it took 3 hours to fully complete. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

it may depend on external factors too like internet speed, system, traffic, other processes, reports, etc. running at the same time...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@jlreonal Don’t forget to take the courses out of any learning plans before you try to archive … other wise, it will fail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

good point @KMallette thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@jlreonalDon’t forget to take the courses out of any learning plans before you try to archive … other wise, it will fail.

Oh good to know! Thank you for sharing!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Yeah even if I created a group with only 2k records to archive, it took 3 hours to fully complete. 

2k in 3 hours? Doesn’t this kick off a background job? This seems like it would completely clog up the system. I’m looking at whether there’s an API so I can do this in larger batches. I’m trying to archive around 140k enrollments in one course and can see this is going to be really problematic since I can’t do more than 10k at once anyway. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

2k in 3 hours? Doesn’t this kick off a background job? This seems like it would completely clog up the system. I’m looking at whether there’s an API so I can do this in larger batches. I’m trying to archive around 140k enrollments in one course and can see this is going to be really problematic since I can’t do more than 10k at once anyway. 

That is right. :( We ended up archiving the 17k records for more than 24 hours, we had to even adjust our deployment date and had to abort all other activities queued in the system. Both connections from the office and at home has the average archiving of 5 seconds per record or 12 records per min. Although some archiving that I did is queued, the archiving still does process, but archiving cannot do simultaneously. See below timestamp.

The reason for the latency can be due to connection issues. I’m interested to know if your archiving average time will or will not be the same as ours...

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You can try in smaller batch, then you can calculate how long your archiving process will be.

Userlevel 4
Badge

That is right. :( We ended up archiving the 17k records for more than 24 hours, we had to even adjust our deployment date and had to abort all other activities queued in the system. Both connections from the office and at home has the average archiving of 5 seconds per record or 12 records per min. Although some archiving that I did is queued, the archiving still does process, but archiving cannot do simultaneously. See below timestamp.

The reason for the latency can be due to connection issues. I’m interested to know if your archiving average time will or will not be the same as ours...

Honestly I’m not sure we can risk it. We’re a multi tenant environment so if this is how this feature works I’ll just archive the course and start over, like we used to do before this feature rolled out :(