Skip to main content
Best Answer

Are badges retroactive if a user previously completed the learning plan

• 26 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I am doing some badge testing and when I create a docebo badge based on a learning plan, the user who completed that plan prior to the badge creation does not get the badge retroactively. Is this designed behavior? If so, why? 

I haven’t done testing with courses but I am curious if it woudl behave the same. If anyone knows it will same me some time. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s the behavior I have experienced. It’s in line with a lot of the automation behavior in the system, not really sure why it applies here other than it could be weird to trigger a lot of badges suddenly for something I completed a while back? Maybe there should be an idea to have options for how to apply this similar to the idea that is asking for this with other automations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would agree that they are not retroactive like most everything else in LMS (groups, enrolment rules, etc.)

As for badges, It does make sense that it only applies to those who complete the criteria  once the badge is created with the defined parameters for obtaining the badge; kind of like the Contests.

Alternatively, you can manually assign badges if you need to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

It is not retroactive. Both with who earns points and what points have already been earned. We are using that to our advantage. The point value of a thing changes over time. Complete the same thing later in the year and you get fewer points. So all I have to do is update the points on the badge and from that point forward that’s what they get. No impact to existing point distribution.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I needed to assign a heap of people to a new badge that I created and of course the automatic assignment would not assign people that had completed the criteria already, only new completions. 

What I did is I made a group of users using the “Groups” function based on an automatic rule for anyone who had completed the course. Then I went into the badge tool and assigned users based on the temporary group I made, assigned them, deleted the group. Worked a treat.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Some great advice here. I have just one thing to add, in case anyone finds themselves in a situation where they’ve been asked, as I was recently, to retroactively award n points per course completed

In principle you can follow @jckemv’s approach above using groups (and that’s exactly what I did for a bunch of other one-time-only badges), but for this one I would have had to make 100+ manual groups via CSV uploads, and then manually click through the awarding process 100+ times.

This would not only be extremely tedious but highly prone to user error (losing track of the groups, etc).

Fortunately we have Docebo Connect, and I managed to create a recipe that manually awarded 5 points ~30,000 times in a few minutes. To be clear, I’m not encouraging this specific use case, but it is I think a good advertisement for the power of Docebo Connect. If anyone would like to hear more details about this recipe, please drop me a line.