Best Answer

Automated Assignments Based on a Past Completion Date

• 12 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We have a need to enroll people in a new version of a course roughly one year since they completed the old course. 

For example, Sam completed the 2022 version in March 2022. I want the system to automatically enroll Sam in the 2023 version in February 2023 and have it due in March 2023. 

Has anyone tried this?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 13 January 2023, 15:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sure, you can use Groups to capture all those that completed the 2022 course and then use the Enrolment Rules to assign those in the group the 2023 version...

Userlevel 2
Badge

That makes sense @lrnlab, but can you be more granular. Example:

• Sam completed the course on March 15th 2022. Assign the new course on February 15th 2023 so it’s due around March 15th 2023. 
  • Tim completed the course on March 30th 2022. Assign the new course on February 28th 2023 so it’s due around March 30th 2023. 

I suppose I’m looking for a way to automate it so the assignments keep occurring as past completion dates come into view. Perhaps that’s too much for the system at the moment and we’d have to manually update the group with new users? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @rloverin unfortunately it’ not that direct.

That makes sense @lrnlab, but can you be more granular. Example:

• Sam completed the course on March 15th 2022. Assign the new course on February 15th 2023 so it’s due around March 15th 2023. 
  • Tim completed the course on March 30th 2022. Assign the new course on February 28th 2023 so it’s due around March 30th 2023. 

I suppose I’m looking for a way to automate it so the assignments keep occurring as past completion dates come into view. Perhaps that’s too much for the system at the moment and we’d have to manually update the group with new users? 

when using the enrolment rules, they only what is programmed so immediately after the user completes course A, they them meet the eligibility requirements to join the Group. Once they join the group, the enrolment rules immediately kick in and would assign the course you included in the rule.

That said, you could leave the enrolment rules OFF and only turn them on close 1 month before your next due date, or

you could install an 11 month due date on course B and allow users to complete it at anytime after they are signed course B. While this option may not have everyone competing by a certain date (each user may have a different completion date) your total compliance numbers should stay up there.

You may also want to include an “active until” date on your courses which will install a due date for the course and allow to report on users who are overdue and also use the Course has expired notification if you wish to alert them to an impending due date for the course.

Hopefully you’ll find something useful here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I appreciate the help. I think our need is a bit too specific for Docebo’s current functionality, but your information did help me with something else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I understand...I have lived thru this scenario many times in my LMS career. What you can also consider is to get away from the notion of having date-driven compliance requirements.  The idea that the date by which someone completes a course and is assigned the next one, is not as important as having the user actually compete the course. In compliance terms, instead of looking at reports at specific dates, you can make the assumption that at any point in time, you would expect compliance completion rates to be X%. This gets you away from having to only rely on the date a course was assigned and its due date. Of course you should still maintain the due dates for users to see, however if a “keener” completes a course the day it is assigned and based on that, they are automatically assigned the 2nd course, AND they complete that one on the same day, then good for them; they are ahead of the game and your completion rates just went up. It’s a bit of a shift in thinking when it comes to complacent reporting but is much more effective and much less administrative burden.

I understand it’s exactly addressing your question but can hopefully give you some thing to think about going forward.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Totally agree with your thinking, but others really want to keep our current process with specific time and due date criteria. It will take time for them to let me steer the ship in a more sustainable direction. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I hear ya...went up that hill...LOL….