Best Answer

Can a certificate expire?

• 17 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi, I am looking for any recommendations for the following scenario:

Our external customer require us to provide certificates to them to prove our employees completed a training. The certificate expires after 5 years for example. Since it expires, a certification (in the certification and retraining app) would be ideal, but it doesn’t produce a physical certificate like the certificates do.

Is there a way to make a certificate (associated with a course) expire the way the certification can?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 17 May 2023, 20:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We use a ‘dummy’ course that is assigned and marked complete automatically and then we use the Certification End Date in the course Certificate...works really well…

Note: the course that grants the certification itself is what you need to assign and have the certificate attached to.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Okay so create the course, and the certification that expires,

then a dummy course that is an equivalent to the course they actually completed, and that dummy course has a certificate associated with it that has the tag code certification expiration date?

Is that correct?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Or I probably wouldn’t need the dummy course and could just assign a certificate to the course that also has a certification right? @lrnlab 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If you aren’t needing to necessarily report on expired certificates or trigger any kind of notifications, you could go low-tech and just put a message on the certificate stating that the certificate expires within X days/years from the date it was issued.  Just be sure to include the “issued” date (completion date) on the certificate.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks @sjennings78 - we need the certification expiration to trigger the user to re take the course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Or I probably wouldn’t need the dummy course and could just assign a certificate to the course that also has a certification right? @lrnlab 

yes if that’s your use case

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Or I probably wouldn’t need the dummy course and could just assign a certificate to the course that also has a certification right? @lrnlab 

This is what we are doing and it works well for us so far when the certificate is generated for the user.  The certificate has an expiration date relative to when they completed the course. As for re-certifications none of our certifications have expired yet, so we will wait and see!