Cross-referencing video file names

• 19 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has found a good way to cross-reference the video file names auto-generated by Docebo with the original file names on their local network. We’d like to be able to cross-reference these names to check that the videos on Docebo match the latest ones on our local network. We’re not sure how to do this because the file name in Docebo is different to the original file name. The auto-generated file name I’m referring to is the one shown in the following screen capture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Auto-generated file name

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

We have this exact issue. We are constantly having to compare if the most updated version in our local shared drives are the ones posted in Docebo. I began noting the original file name in the description text box at the bottom of your screenshot. It’s bothersome to our team that it displays to the user but outside of keeping notes in the Additional Field we created for Admin Notes at a course level, we haven’t found a way to document this in Docebo for easy reconciliation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @jennadionn 

Thanks for your message. It would be great if Docebo could retain the original file name (or add a note showing the original file name) to make it easier to cross-reference the files. I just posted this as an idea in the community, so feel free to give it a vote if you like!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Two thoughts, first in the video itself can you add an updated date or version number to it? This would help keep track across all locations the video might end up regardless of system setup? It can be subtle at the start and finish. Otherwise/in addition manually adding it to a note/description seems like the only way right now, it would be nice to have that done automatically somewhere, but seems more like a nice to have compared to all the other gaps in the platform. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Daniel I upvoted. Thanks for posting in the ideas portal! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas Thanks for the suggestions on possible workarounds, and yes, I agree that there are other improvements that should take priority for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Prob another point for the column of using specialty tools too, having some type of dedicated video tool would resolve as they all handle this far better and then can be referenced or embedded into Docebo instead, not sure why I didn’t mention before.