Best Answer

Delay option to renew certification?

• 12 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

I’m getting to grips with the certifications and retraining app and I would appreciate if someone could help with an issue I have…

We have a course that users complete to receive an accreditation. They are accredited for 1 year & then need to renew - luckily they do not have to redo the entire course! We have a shorter test that they can complete instead. 

To test I have set up a certificate and added two test courses to it (one to act as the original, one to act as the re-certification) and I think that all works as expected. However even though the expiry is set to 1 year the option to RENEW NOW appears...

Is there a way for this option to only appear, for example, a couple of weeks before expiry? 

It is not the biggest problem in the world - the user should know they don’t need to renew until the expiry date - but as we charge a fee for re-certifying, I just want to “fool proof” it so nobody can accidently pay before they need to!

Thanks for your help;

Rob

icon

Best answer by jgarcia 12 January 2024, 18:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Understand the need to simplify things for users but pretty sure there is no way to remove that option unless you change the settings on the certification itself. You could go the CSS route to remove it but that presents a bunch of other issues.

We opted to not allow users to be able to renew and instead, we have a process using groups, enrolment rules and custom pages that change based on the certifications awarded. It is very specific and users only have a very limited choice of courses so this may not wok for you but you may find something in this you could use. I did hear that there were supposed some new stuff coming for certifications and renewals but not sure when.

One good thing is that the “renew” button is only visible/accessible via the user’s personal summary page (a place they probably done visit that often) so you might just want to leverage the notifications and send those out only a few weeks before they need to renew, for example.

Userlevel 1

This is an idea that is already out there. Upvote it!