Question

Due Today User Notifications

• 17 February 2022
  • 9 replies

I am trying to send a notification to users on the day a course is due (single email or digest) and have been unsuccessful with my tests. The only options seem to be those listed below and zero is not a valid number for ‘how many days after/ before the event‘. A number 1 entered on either does not return same-day due dates. Has anyone been able to send out ‘due today’ notifications to users?

Notification Option
Learner has yet to complete the class After the event/ Manual
Digest: Learner has yet to complete the class Every/ Manual
Course has expired Before the event/ After the event
  • Needs:
    • Recipients: Users AND Managers (if possible)
    • Digest or single course per email
    • Restrict course list (not all)
    • Trigger day course is due

Thank you!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @audra.pantin we had the same issue and could not find any options to send on the actual due date since you cannot use a zero in the Course Expiry notification. the only one that could come close is the Learner has yet to completed course; and that would only work if you send it exactly x number of days after enrolment to match your due date. Haven’t tried that option so if it works for you, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi @lrnlab 

Thank you for confirming there is no ‘due today’ notification option. I have been able to set the reminders for before (digest) and after (single course) the due date. I’ll add it to the Idea portal. Thanks!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @audra.pantin, I haven’t tested it fully yet, but there is an option in Digest: Course has expired to send only on the exact day. This would require you to set up end dates for courses in course properties > time options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thx @IanMonk had not seen this one yet...I agree that deep testing is a must…since this one needs to be set-up with LOOP tags (and Docebo does not really provide too many details on this), you would need to set a few courses with the same due date to properly test…

@audra.pantin there is no Manager option on this one either

We have been using the “User activation email” in 2 different ways (1 for new users and another for new PU’s) but it seems this particular notification does not really work as expected. It sends the 2 versions of the notifications to both users and PUs at the same time and we cannot figure out why...I have a case pending with support. 

Just be cautious if you plan to use multiple versions of the same notification for different courses rather the same generic template for all.

@IanMonk  Thank you for the recommendation. Within the Digest: course has expired notification, I have tested the ‘Send on exact day’ but from what I can tell the email will not trigger unless a number (greater than 0) is entered into the ‘Number of days to check in advance’ field. Please let me know if your testing proves otherwise!

As an FYI - I did submit this as an idea too. The status of the idea has been changed to ‘Closed - Parked’ by Docebo. This was their message: 

We wanted to let you know that our team has plans to work on our notifications engine this year and, when they do, they’ll be looking at this idea (as well as any other notification idea!) so we’re marking this one as ‘Parked’ until then. In the meantime, the idea can still collect votes.

You can upvote HERE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Folks - on this topic - I wanted you all to be aware - that there is something that can be done if you are looking to alert the learner that the course has hit the due date.

For Course Notifications (unlike learning plans) and if you are looking to leverage the notification “the Learner has yet to complete a course”? It is a forward counting notification from the day that you enrolled people.

So the count of days of the entire campaign = due date (unless - I have totally screwed up the way I am thinking about the notification. Which gives you the ability to deploy a message on the due date.

I can tell where this is confusing though - we use the learning plan expiring notification often….and it is actually the opposite…and works around the expiration date.

Let me know your thoughts.

@audra.pantin - does this help to get you there????

@IanMonk  Thank you for the recommendation. Within the Digest: course has expired notification, I have tested the ‘Send on exact day’ but from what I can tell the email will not trigger unless a number (greater than 0) is entered into the ‘Number of days to check in advance’ field. Please let me know if your testing proves otherwise!

I am not really sure if “Send on exact day” means “sent on the due date”. If one keeps 2 days prior to expiry, email will flash exactly 2 days prior to expiry only.

When I tested the “Digest: Course Has Expired” notification for the due today message, it seems to have worked!! When I select “Send only on exact day” and leave the Number of days blank, the email triggered on the due date.