Question

Edit a video in the Central Repository

• 30 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

One of our team members use the native screen recording function in Docebo. He made a few edits to it an saved it. Now he has a few more edits he wants to make to it (add a voiceover and take out a short section that ended up not being needed) and we cannot figure out how to access the video in order to make additional edits. It should be noted this has not been added to any courses yet, just the Central Repository. Help!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@kadkins I don’t think that screen-captured videos are really meant to be edited, other than adding a transcript file.  I know that seems kinda strange to me, especially since there isn’t a download function that would allow you to edit in another application.

I can see a file name in the Edit screen. Perhaps your AM could help and have someone get it off the server for you ????

Userlevel 4
Badge

We experienced this with learners using the functionality to make videos for their graded assignments. Occasionally the learner would be fortunate and the video would be stored on their CDrive in  /document/screen recorder, allowing them to open and edit it within the software. More often it was a case of them having started to upload it and the video no longer being available or being available but corrupted.

For this reason we don’t use that software when making learning content videos and we made a short video showing our learners how to use it and what to be aware of.

Userlevel 1

@AngeWi @KMallette thank you both for your quick replies to my question!

Since we are brand new to Docebo, it sounds like this will be an internal process discussion. What we came up with (before I posed my question to the Community) was: 

“If you're just recording a quick action and don't need audio - use the built-in recorder in the LMS.

If you are going to do a voiceover or more than the above, we encourage the use of your laptop's built-in screen recorder/video capture software of choice, as the audio is far superior and you have more capabilities in iMovie for post-production audio layers and editing.”

After a long hour of research and your responses to the above question, it feels like we should just deter content creators from using that feature in general and just defer to the built-in tools we all have on our Apple laptops. Thank you again!