Best Answer

Email Notification for Managers

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We are wanting to create one email notification that goes out to the manager and in that email it would list all of the users who report to them on courses that need to be completed in the platform.

We are aware of these two email notifications “Digest: Learning has yet to complete a course” and “Learner has yet to complete a course” can go to the manager. However, on these notifications the manager will receive one email per user and this is not what we want.

Our managers do have access to the “My Team” in the platform and we know that they can see their team members and it will show if the user(s) are overdue on a course and they can see their User Summary Report. 

Looking at “Reports,” we would not want to create a manual report for each manager to see their team members and the courses that still need to be completed. We do use the direct manager (#4 Team Members) when a person is created, however, direct manager is not available to select under User Fields at the end of creating a report.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We thought it would be great if our managers received one email notification once a month on their team members who needs to complete their required training. 

icon

Best answer by Adam Ballhaussen 24 May 2021, 23:45

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi there! Could you set your managers as power users, so that they can view their team from the Reports section? You would need to create one report, and set your managers up as power users. It may be just as much work as creating a scheduled report for each of your managers, but this could give them the ability to create other custom reports if they wanted, even seeing the Course/Branch dashboards too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@josefinarod’s suggestion is a pretty good one!

Alternatively, in our company, we use a Power BI tool for all the reporting. It downloads a few, huge Docebo reports through API and puts all the data in the Power BI.

All of our managers have access to it and based on our in-house database with data of all employees, there’s a row level security included as well, which means, that every managers sees only their own team. It’s great for course completion, certificates, external activities, etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

abartunek’s solution is the one we use.  PowerBI resolves a lot of the challenges we have with getting reporting data to our managers easily.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi there! Could you set your managers as power users, so that they can view their team from the Reports section? You would need to create one report, and set your managers up as power users. It may be just as much work as creating a scheduled report for each of your managers, but this could give them the ability to create other custom reports if they wanted, even seeing the Course/Branch dashboards too.

We use the power user option and give them access to Reports and specifically point them to the Branch Dashboard report. It has a great graphical representation of who needs to do what in real time and can be exported. Depending on the branch/user access provided, the manager can drill down into their team(s) + with the recent improvements to the PU roles and those coming soon, there is even more flexibility when managing PU roles and access (down to the individual user level if necessary)

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is 100% a pressing issue for us, too! Our previous LMS, SumTotal, had digest notifications that contained all users under a specific manager (based on organizational hierarchy), and provided  management quick and convenient access to their employees’ training progress.

We’re working with our CXM right now to find the best way to potentially leverage power user permissions and scheduled reports, though that still isn’t as convenient as the old digest notifications we had with SumTotal.

I believe users will really appreciate finding a way to consolidate this for management employees.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I went into the Ideas Portal and added this: LMS-I-1715 - Email Notifications that groups all users assigned to a given manager - Please vote on this!

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am struggling with the same issue. We created a reporting profile and assign it to managers via CSV. However, this isn’t ideal since the courses & learning plans visibility is tied to the global search bar AND reporting. Therefore, our managers can enroll in any published course, regardless of catalog assignment. 

One idea for your report issue, is to create an additional field of “reports to.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LMSica not sure if this helps but you can assign visibility to specific courses instead of the catalogues if that’s too much access for reporting + their visibility can also be aligned to only the specific branch they are attached to so even if they have visibility to more courses, they would only see the courses their employees are enrolled into. You can see this effect if you look at the Branch Dashboard report

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @LMSica not sure if this helps but you can assign visibility to specific courses instead of the catalogues if that’s too much access for reporting + their visibility can also be aligned to only the specific branch they are attached to so even if they have visibility to more courses, they would only see the courses their employees are enrolled into. You can see this effect if you look at the Branch Dashboard report

Thank you for trying to help me problem-solve this issue. I think this would be a great solution; however, our managers need to be able to run reports on all courses and learnings plans in the system (regardless of catalog visibility). If we restrict them to select courses or even courses in visible catalogs, then they cannot run full history course reports for their learners. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@LMSica I understand. our manager PU profile has no catalogues assigned and it seems to give them the reporting ability they need without giving them access to all courses in all catalogues; they only see what they are supposed to be based on their user access.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I am struggling with the same issue. We created a reporting profile and assign it to managers via CSV. However, this isn’t ideal since the courses & learning plans visibility is tied to the global search bar AND reporting. Therefore, our managers can enroll in any published course, regardless of catalog assignment. 

One idea for your report issue, is to create an additional field of “reports to.”

Hi LMSica,

As to respond to you on:  add to the report issue, to create an additional field of “reports to”

We did not create an additional field called "reports to” because Docebo already has Direct Manager field and we are hoping they will add this “Direct Manager field” to Reports.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a big request for us too! Managers do not want multiple emails and extra clicks getting to reports, dashboards aren’t ideal! The solution for the Power BI tool is probably great for some, but not something I’m familiar with or able to learn and put into place quickly/easily! I hope the increased amount of votes helps escalate this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Swatson I love some of the ideas shared in this thread to make it easier for managers to report on their teams. I’d like to summarize a few of the recommendations shared here in case others discover this thread looking to accomplish something similar:

Grant your managers Power User permissions (including reporting)

Assign your managers a Power User Profile that includes permissions to Edit Reports (which includes creating reports). option would allow your managers to view the Courses/Branches Dashboards and build their own reports for their teams. They could then schedule these reports to send via email once per month. You could also alternatively build these reports for your managers in advance, but it might be easier to instruct them how to do it themselves, depending on how many managers there are. Thanks to @josefinarod and @lrnlab for this original recommendation.

Add a User Additional Field like “Reports To”

Since you can currently filter reports by any User Additional Field that is a dropdown field, you could create a field called something like Reports To that mirrors the Direct Manager field. The possible values for this field would be the names of each of your managers. You could update this field for all current users via CSV and include updating the field for future users as a part of your user creation process. This option would also give you further flexibility to create Groups for each of your managers, which would introduce another entire host of possibilities. Thanks to @LMSica for this original recommendation.

Use a 3rd party reporting tool

If you have access to a tool like Power BI, Tableau, Domo, Looker, or others, you could send your Docebo data to this system via API and do all of your reporting, filtering, and segmentation there. Thanks to @abartunek for this original recommendation.

I would recommend a combination of the first two proposed solutions. That seems to be the most straightforward way to solve this challenge until the product changes. In the meantime, I encourage anyone else who could benefit from your idea (LMS-I-1715 - Email Notifications that groups all users assigned to a given manager) to go vote on it!

I’d love to hear from any others who have come up with creative ways to reach a similar end result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @LMSica! I hope you’re having a great week. I wanted to respond to this comment with some information shared in our release notes this month:

HEADS UP! Course enrollment button visibility update for Power Users

For those using the Power Users app, please note that starting on August 19, 2021, in order for Power Users to be able to see the Enrollment button for courses,  the profile they are assigned must have both Enrollment and View permissions enabled for courses.

Do you think that might help with the issue you mentioned in that reply?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @LMSica! I hope you’re having a great week. I wanted to respond to this comment with some information shared in our release notes this month:

HEADS UP! Course enrollment button visibility update for Power Users

For those using the Power Users app, please note that starting on August 19, 2021, in order for Power Users to be able to see the Enrollment button for courses,  the profile they are assigned must have both Enrollment and View permissions enabled for courses.

Do you think that might help with the issue you mentioned in that reply?

It just might! When I talked to the Oscar at Docebo, I mentioned that it would be helpful to separate the permissions. I will have to test it and let you know. Fingers crossed! Thank you for pointing this out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

In a new release for reports (Admin menu > New Reports) in the view options section, you can now choose “Direct Manager,” so you do not have to create an additional field.

However, as I mentioned, we do not want to give managers “power user roles” or to create groups. The managers can click on My Team and see their users and see what courses they have done and can assign training, but that is one user at a time. Our managers just want one email to go out to them once a month to list the people who have not completed their required training all in one email.

So please go vote on this idea (LMS-I-1715 - Email Notifications that groups all users assigned to a given manager) so we can have an email notification go out to the manager that will list all the users and their courses in one email. 

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

In a new release for reports (Admin menu > New Reports) in the view options section, you can now choose “Direct Manager,” so you do not have to create an additional field.

However, as I mentioned, we do not want to give managers “power user roles” or to create groups. The managers can click on My Team and see their users and see what courses they have done and can assign training, but that is one user at a time. Our managers just want one email to go out to them once a month to list the people who have not completed their required training all in one email.

So please go vote on this idea (LMS-I-1715 - Email Notifications that groups all users assigned to a given manager) so we can have an email notification go out to the manager that will list all the users and their courses in one email. 

Thank you!

Voted!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So I’m adding to this thread as the new updates mean that line managers now have access to the reports on the ‘Your team’. 

Has anyone tried to use API’s with this new reporting function for managers or done something so that managers get an email or a link that they can view their teams training activities?

We were discussing how it would be good if the team members training went to our HR app automatically showing their training just before annual review time.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hopefully this capability will be available in the future. In our case we have both internal and external users accessing the training. Often times the folks in the field that need the training are the least likely to stay current on their email. This leads to challenges with getting training completed and making sure users show up for ILTs. 

Reporting does not help when a user is assigned training and does not show up.

We very much need the ability to have notifications where the user in an additional field (or the Direct Manager) is notified that the user has been enrolled in an ILT. This would also be helpful for e-Learning. While we have gotten some movement with using the Learner has yet to complete a course notification, which has its own challenges since it is not recurring, notifying managers would have a big impact.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Grant your managers Power User permissions (including reporting)

Assign your managers a Power User Profile that includes permissions to Edit Reports (which includes creating reports). option would allow your managers to view the Courses/Branches Dashboards and build their own reports for their teams. They could then schedule these reports to send via email once per month. You could also alternatively build these reports for your managers in advance, but it might be easier to instruct them how to do it themselves, depending on how many managers there are. Thanks to @josefinarod and @lrnlab for this original recommendation.

I’d like to grant Power User permissions to managers just for limited reporting. But I am unaware of an easy way to quickly create Powers permissions to hundreds of people at the same time. Can we use a Group to create power user permissions that give them access only to their reporting structure?  We definitely don’t have time to create Power Users one at a time for this.