Best Answer

enrollment link error

• 14 September 2022
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I have an admin who needs to have a course not publicly visible in the catalog, but which a select group of users will access via the enrollment link generated at course level. 

We have tried various catalog options combinations in conjunction with actually being part of a catalog and also not part of one but everything results in the user receiving an permissions error.  The only success was for the course to be visible and self enrollments on, which is what we don’t want. 

Is it possible to do what we are after?

icon

Best answer by Jtischler 20 September 2022, 16:47

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you have the Subscription Code app loaded? If not ask support to add.

With this you can generate a course code that will automatically enrol users and the course does NOT need to be in any catalogues.

ON the course it looks like this:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab We haven’t used those codes or widget yet.  We have another course set up exactly like this and is working as desired.  Not sure why this one isn’t.  Have escalated a ticket to Docebo.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Right, enrolment links should not requirer you to have the course in the catalogue so good move one your part

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab  - It has been confirmed by Docebo that if a course is not in a catalog it is considered ‘hidden’ and the enrollment links will not work.  Admins can enroll users into courses without a catalog associated, but the enrollment link cannot be leveraged.  Furthermore it has been confirmed by Docebo that you can not have a scenario where a course is not publicly available that allows users to use the enrollment link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jtischler odd that they would say that since we use it all the time and it works...we provision some users from outside Docebo and connect them to a course using the enrolment link; the courses are not in  any catalogues they have access to.

As well, we use the Subscription Codes app to also enrol users without having the courses generally available or visible in any catalogues the user has access to.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab perhaps the fact that they are in a catalog at all is what makes the difference.  Not in a catalog = hidden, regardless of the catalog permissions.  Catalogs only control visibility to courses, so if its in a catalog its not hidden and in theory the enrollment link would work then.  I will have more of a look at the subscription code and what that entails as we are not actively using it.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I do this all the time with courses that are not in a catalog at all with no issue, so agree with @lrnlab that it is a weird stance. I actually use this method on purpose to make fake courses and use them as miniwebsites where I purposefully don;t want them available in any other traditional spot like a catalog.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Bfarkas @lrnlab what config do you have set on course catalog settings? And you have no catalog associated right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The one catalogue the course is in is to provide the admin with access, not users. These are settings + we have all enrolment options turned OFF 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab Thanks for the screengrab. Those are the exact settings we tried initially both with and without the catalog, and users all receive an error using the enrollment link stating that they are not able to enroll in the course.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jtischler are you using subdomain? I found that when creating the enrolment link, if you are not in the subdomain, the link may be incorrect...maybe something to check?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So I was intrigued by this and started with a clean new course and clean new user and repeated the settings being described, and I run into the same error @Jtischler is describing now. Really interesting that I never ran into it before, must have always just hit one of the settings slightly different to allow it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

think you would have better success if you enable the Subscription Code app that will then enable another option on your course (as depicted below)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab @Bfarkas Thanks so much both!  Bfarkas especially for confirming my finding, glad to know I am not crazy lol.  

I will take a look at the enrollment code as an option moving forward. That’s not a feature we have enabled just yet.  

Thanks again!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab @Bfarkas Thanks so much both!  Bfarkas especially for confirming my finding, glad to know I am not crazy lol.  

I will take a look at the enrollment code as an option moving forward. That’s not a feature we have enabled just yet.  

Thanks again!  

you need to ask Support to enable it for you..it’s not in the APP list