Equivalences courses - how to set the properly?

• 3 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all! I am looking for some help on how to set up equivalence courses in a proper way. I am looking for an option to link two courses together, and if one of them is completed the second would be marked as completed too. Mainly it will be link between ILT and e-learning course. Additionally I’d love to achieve that CEU points would be added to a record of an user when one of these courses is completed. 

Does anyone of you use equivalence courses and know if above is achievable? I was trying to set them up but it didn’t work for me. 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @ckujawski it should be pretty straightforward 

you can start with this:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127479-Configuring-Course-Equivalencies

What are you having trouble with exactly?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @ckujawski it should be pretty straightforward 

you can start with this:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127479-Configuring-Course-Equivalencies

What are you having trouble with exactly?

thanks @lrnlab, I read this article dozen of times and tried to set this up as it’s there, still doesn’t work. 

I was even in touch with my account manager and he is trying to figure out why it’s not working but also though that some of us here in the community already worked this feature out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

that’s odd...we just added a course in that section and it works...may be a bug...did you open a ticket?

I don’t like that the course the user did NOT take is also shown as “completed”...it should have a different status...something you can watch for once you get this resolved

Userlevel 3
Badge

that’s odd...we just added a course in that section and it works...may be a bug...did you open a ticket?

I don’t like that the course the user did NOT take is also shown as “completed”...it should have a different status...something you can watch for once you get this resolved

that’s why I talked to my account manager, so he is trying to get insight from engineers. @lrnlab what relationship did you set between courses and on which course did set this up (on ILT, if you have the same case as myself?)? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We have only a few like this because of the way it records completion that is confusing…

We have a course that grants a certificate that is only assigned (via Groups + enrolment rules) once a user completes one learning course + one ILT course. This 3rd course is assigned once both are completed and is marked as completed by way of an equivalency set-up between the 3rd course and any  of the 2 versions of the eLearning course...it looks like this:

hope that makes sense...it’s a bit of complicated set-up.

Userlevel 3
Badge

thanks @lrnlab I have to test it again based on your insight. I think we did something similar and it didn’t work out for us. The main problem we are having are CEU points assigned to the courses and we want to avoid duplication of those by setting equivalences relationship between courses. 

Thanks again for all your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hmm, not sure about CEU’s...since equivalencies are pretty basic and track both courses as if they were both completed, am thinking it may count your CEU’s twice...definitely something to watch for

Userlevel 3
Badge

it counts twice if we set mutual relationship between courses (this is the only one which seems to work for us). I’ll be doing more test with your suggestion to set source and target relationship between courses. 

Looks to me, like the feature has good potential but needs a couple of small tweaks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It definitely needs a few tweaks like a proper status that its different than “completed” so we can differentiate between what the user actually completed vs what was the equivalency + to your point about CEU’s - these should only count on actual completed courses, not equivalencies...