If you try to upload a file to slide convertor with a # (number sign / hashtag icon) in the filename, you get a 500 error

• 10 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not user friendly!

It appears to work even despite the error.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I would argue that one should not put hashtags in their filenames to begin with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Arguably yes - and it never even occurred to me (or to docebo apparently) to test it

But I’m not a power-user so I know better

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Segue to the meeting to brainstorm some new training topics…

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think there's a few threads on issues tied to file name uploads. Sounds an awful lot like the inputs aren’t getting sanitized correctly or for unsupported characters on Docebo side, should be and universally. While I agree with Greg thats just terrible convention for file naming, users are users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

One downside of having too many cooks in the kitchen…

I realize we need to allow some permissions for folks but I am not really sold on the whole poweruser thing the way it works now.

I don’t want any power users who do not work for the company (like just so they can buy a class for someone else… um… No.) and to minimize those power users that do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We absolutely need way more power user permissions.

Currently our outside power-users have two options: course editing profile and reporting profile. The course editors cannot have permissions on my courses.

BTW: this whole slide converter page is iframed so other than CSS I cannot easily add a warning about special characters. Perhaps someone at docebo can?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

#content > div.authoring_wrap.en > h1::after {
    content: " - special characters in filenames may cause errors";
}/*warning for slide converter*/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are there any other areas where special characters in filenames cause problems?

I guess I’ll run around testing things, but any KNOWN ones would save time.

I suppose this is a good general warning anyway *shrug* never occurred to me to warn people really, which is definitely my bad.