Best Answer

ILT course - requiring event and training material for course completion

• 3 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello - 

I am setting up an ILT course and want to require users to attend a session event as well as complete training materials before being marked completed in the course and obtaining a certificate. I just can’t seem to figure out how to have both of these things required. Am I totally missing something? I seem to be able to require event attendance or mark certain training materials as the end object marker, but what do I need to ensure both have been completed before someone is marked completed for the entire ILT course?

icon

Best answer by dianex.gomez 3 October 2023, 23:10

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@melissa.vonhatten You’re not missing anything, this isn’t possible within a single course. To accomplish this use a learning plan. Put your elearning training materials in one course and the ILT is another course. If you have a comprehensive posttest, that is a third course in your learning plan.

There is an idea you can vote for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Only option is with a test object.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab But you still can’t do attendance AND training material. It is one or the other, I believe @melissa.vonhatten is looking for both. I know that is what I was looking for. I want them to attend AND pass a test (or complete other training materials). This is why I used a learning plan with 2-3 courses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

right but you can still mark users as “attended” so you can see this on  reports but only have the Test mark the overall course as completed.

Userlevel 1

Yes - I would like both attendance and training material completed. And for my instance, the event they are attending is a webinar, so I would like the system to determine/confirm if they’ve attended the event and have the event attendance be 1 of 2 pieces (training material being the second) needing to be completed in order to have the course completed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Only way to do this I’ve pulled off is an API workaround using Qualtrics. The ILT happens, and then the users are required to go do the training material, and there is a qualtrics survey at the end they only get access to if they had attended the session, on submission of the survey/training material I do an API call back and have it mark the course complete. I know not out of the box or simple, but placing here as an option for others in future in case.

Userlevel 1

that is a remarkable solution I would not have thought of @Bfarkas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

that is a remarkable solution I would not have thought of @Bfarkas 

Yeah it works really well when needed, but obviously requires resources to pull off. Have used in a few scenarios where like part of the course is to provide ‘accountability feedback’ type stuff, e.g. what I plan to focus on in the next month, etc. So they go to the form at the end of the session, fill it in. We do a follow up email the next morning after the session for those that attended to make sure they went and did it too, those who didnt attend get auto-unenrolled, and emailed to sign up for the next one.