Instructor to Email Students

Userlevel 5
Badge

So, I’ve recently implemented Docebo for a new organization.  The last time I implemented the platform (almost a decade ago), there was a super easy workflow for Instructors to Email students.  They just checked off the students to Email and clicked Send Email.  I am not finding that functionality in the platform now.  Am I totally missing it?  Have I not configured something fundamental?  

How are instructors supposed to send a quick message to all students? 

Please help! 

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi - Still the same. From your Course > ‘Enrollments’ tab > Select users you want to send a notification.

Userlevel 5
Badge

But, as an Instructor, I don’t get that screen.  I get this one below.  There’s no way to select users for anything other than marking attendance or evaluation. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I believe you should have Edit access in Enrollments and ILT sessions for you to send email to learners. I logged-in to our Instructor profile and can see Send Email option.

Userlevel 5
Badge

So, you have to setup your instructors as Power Users too.  Not just set them as Instructors for the Session?   That is silly.  Why isn’t it part of the Instructor Overview?  That should be standard Instructor functionality. So, they have to step outside the standard instructor workflow - go to the gear icon go through Course Management, etc.  To email the students?    

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is it just Edit Enrollments that is needed?  I don’t really want my instructors to be able to Edit things.  They shouldn’t be able to edit the session information or the course information.  I’m confused on what is needed to setup.  Can you share what your instructor Power User settings are? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

This is the permission we granted to our Instructors; Superadmins can assign only the course/catalog that Power User (Instructors) needs to manage. Our Power Users basically manage the entire program not only a specific ILT course/session.

Here’s what I also got from Docebo Help & Support:

When working with ILT/VILT course, instructors are either assigned to sessions or to events:

• Session Instructor. If you are the instructor of a session, you will be automatically assigned to all of the events included in the session and you will be able to mark the attendance for all of the events in the session and set whether the participants have passed them or not. You will also be able to create and update the training material for the course. 
  • Event Instructor. If you are the instructor of a single event within a session, you can mark the attendance for the learners attending that specific event but you will have no control over the other events nor over the session. You can either upload nor manage the training material assigned to the course.

Instructor User Guide – Docebo Help & Support

Userlevel 5
Badge

Our Instructors are contractors.  I don’t really want them to be able to see or User information for those who are not in one of their sessions.  I don’t see a way to create a group based off session enrollments (we do about 900 sessions each month) and have no way to know who might sign up for a specific session.  So, I would have to give them permission to view everyone in my customer base (around 80,000 learners)?  That seems like a really big miss…

Last time I implemented, the UI was completely different, wasn’t this table format.  It was a pop up on the screen with the users (closer to what you see when you look at assigned users in a Learning Plan view today).  And the instructors just clicked the users in the session and had limited bulk actions they could do.  Sending email was included in those.  

Wondering if anyone else has thoughts on how to have Instructors be able to see and communicate with only those who are enrolled in the session they are assigned to instruct.  ???

Userlevel 5
Badge

@jlreonal Thank you for sharing your configuration.  

I am hopeful I can find a setting that doesn’t expose too much information to contracted instructors while still allowing them to be able to perform basic classroom management.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Maybe setting-up a standard notification for Session/Event will resolve your issue, so Instructors would not need to send ad hoc emails?

Creating an Automatic/Manual Group will also limit their accesses, they should only be able to see the users that are assigned to them.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Instructors often have to communicate with learner ad hoc, though.  As pre-work or follow-up, not as standard notifications.  We have those setup already.  

How can I create an automatic group based on Session enrollment?  If haven’t found a way to do this - is there a way? 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Automatic Group would have to be in course level, not session. Here’s a condition for ‘Enrollment status based conditions’, you need to create a set for each status that you want your Instructors to have visibility to.