Question

Manually editing a user's SCORM progress?

• 3 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Helper III
  • 100 replies

I’m not going to submit this as an idea just yet, because I’m looking for other, better-informed opinions as to whether or not this is incredibly dangerous to even contemplate. 😅

But here goes: Occasionally we get reports of users who started a SCORM course and made some progress, but did not finish the course before leaving to come back. When they do, though, for one reason or another, their progress has not been saved.

(Yes, I know there are some best practices to mitigate this and minimise the odds of it happening, but there are other, more sensible, less wacky threads about that. Humour me, please!)

I can manually set a user’s course completion to “Complete”, but as far as I know it’s not possible for me to manually overwrite e.g. their cmi.core.lesson_location for a given SCORM package. But imagine for a moment that I found some undocumented API endpoint (or some other hacky solution) that would allow me to do that:

• How likely is it that I would only break the tracking completely by updating that field?
  • Would Docebo be opening Pandora’s box by productising this?
  • Has Docebo already enabled it somehow?
  • If this were possible, would you as an LMS admin ever touch it with a 20-foot pole?
  • How about a 50-foot pole?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

hi  @Ian 

Anomalies in SCORM tracking/completion can happen for a variety of reasons, especially with many people working from home. When this occurs, and we are satisfied it is for genuine reasons outside the learner’s control, we don’t update the course status, we update the training material status ( one of several ways to see this is to click the three dots at the end of a user record in the Enrolment screen of a course and select User Stats)

take a look at this article to see if it has some useful info for you: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020080200-Checking-the-Course-Report

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks @Stephen.Barton – I should perhaps have been a bit clearer that I’m not struggling with the situation where a completion has not been registered; we have a workflow for that similar to the one you shared. But if someone comes to us and says “I was halfway through the course when I stopped yesterday. I came back today and it wants me to start over” – that’s the scenario where I was wondering if I can do anything.  

I mean, I strongly suspect it’s not possible. Certainly, the knowledge base article you shared does nothing to suggest that it would be. And even if it were, it smells dangerous – I guess I was hoping that someone might help me learn a bit about how SCORM tracking works in the first place, by explaining just why it’s dangerous.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Ian - We usually refer on the training material time and mark the training material as complete, but we do not deep dive on the information from scorm similar with your screenshot because data seems to be a bit odd.