Question

Maximum number of times to take a test - forced to go back through lesson

• 7 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge

Instructor wants a test at the end of the lesson which the learner can attempt twice.

If the learner fails twice the instructor wants to be notified to make them go back through the lesson (SCORM)

They must pass the test before being allowed to move forward to the next lesson.

I know I can set the maximum number of times they can take the test. What happens if they fail it that many times? Do they get stopped? Does the instructor have to reset it?

I also know I can send a notification to the instructor for each time they fail, but I can’t figure out a way to notify the instructor that the learner has failed the max number set and has come to an impasse.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @tschoone interesting…

have you thought about using the “cooing off period” option when setting your test attempts. This wont necessarily lock the test completely but you could bolster and explain this with text in the notification and/or at the end of the exam.

If the user exhausts all allotted attempts, they are essentially stuck as in progress until they pass the test (assuming you have it set as the thing that makes the course as completed). When you reset, all data associated to the user’s attempts are wiped out.

Don't believe there is any way to tell the instructor the user failed x number off times though. We usually add some contingent text to tell the recipient that if they cannot try the test again, they have exhausted allotted attempts and should reach out to XXX. You can also display the number off attempts on the test landing page and add some text in the decryption field for users.

Hope you find some useful options...