Best Answer

Most efficient way to add course widgets in bulk?

• 15 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Helper III
  • 101 replies

Many of our courses do not currently have the course description widget added, meaning that once a user is enrolled, the course description is not visible to them. This is highly problematic, because we have been recording important information about our courses in the course description field, and furthermore we use enrollment rules extensively, which essentially means that nobody can see the descriptions at all.

So, we want to add the course description widget to just about all of our courses now. And yet I can’t find a way to do this in bulk. When I query the API for an individual course (either the old learn endpoint or the newer courses endpoint), I get a lot of information for a given course, but almost nothing about the course widgets. I did find GET/learn/v1/courses/[{id}/widgets but unlike some GET requests in the API Browser, attempting to send a PUT request through to the same endpoint doesn’t work (I got a 404 error).

So I’m starting to feel pretty sure that this is a (rare) area where Docebo has overlooked API support completely.

But maybe I’ve missed something?

Or maybe, even without API support, there’s a better way to do this than manually, one-at-a-time, editing these courses through the UI?

(I am aware that when duplicating a course, you can bring over the existing widget set-up, including via the API, but that doesn’t really help with the hundreds of existing courses that we have.)

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 15 January 2024, 23:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If there is a way to do that in bulk, I’ve never seen it. Adding widgets after the fact just isn’t something I think many have to do, so it wouldn’t surprise me that it’s not built into the API. For your sake, I hope I’m wrong.

Userlevel 1

I also am struggling with the same issue. Unfortunately, I’ve not found a bulk methodology. I hope anyone else has a better answer for both of us! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Here’s my trick to do this in bulk: Get an intern 😁

Simple right? 

But seriously, yeah it does seem to still be a gap, would be a nice idea I’d vote for. I tend to just get in the habit of anytime I go into a course, make those updates when it happens, not done immediately, but gets there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks @spotratz, @trainerlissa and @Bfarkas for the commiserations! Nice to know I’m not entirely alone.

I’m not holding my breath, but I submitted an idea for this one just in case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Nice!  Vote Added!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Gah, I was on mobile and hit “best answer” instead of “like”. 🤦‍♂️ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Gah, I was on mobile and hit “best answer” instead of “like”. 🤦‍♂️ 

Ha! We’ve all been there.