Question

Need Help with Classroom and events.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has experience setting up an ILT course to span several days?

In it’s simplest form users can access the ILT course via webinar or classroom setting.

But what if you have multiple classrooms, in different time zones?

And if the session is to span more than one day would you need to create a second event for the second day? So there must be at least one event for each day?

Would it be best practice to add events and separate them by classroom or location? 

I don’t want to over engineer this, however it seems very confusing to figure out how to setup.

I know it’s a bunch, but thanks in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ncassella 

I would do a session per location/time zone, cause there is a map. Within each session, I would do 1 event per day, and enroll in all events.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello Kmallette, so I would create three sessions and in each session i would have the events spanning two days? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @ncassella if you set up several sessions and events (as per @KMallette suggests), I am assuming you are running a virtual session if it all occurs at the same times..?? If yes, then you could the option to add a “Custom link” that can be the same for all sessions...this would be your ‘master’ session link created in whatever tool you use for virtual sessions...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello Kmallette, so I would create three sessions and in each session i would have the events spanning two days? 

@ncassella I’d recommend one event for one day … this makes taking attendance more accurate. If you put an event for two days, and they only show up for one, you are in a difficult situation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok that make sense. How does the classroom come into play? Is the classroom just a name? In other words a user is physically in a classroom in a building, and accesses a course, but does the course show this on reports? That a user accessed via a classroom vs virtual attendance? Can we differentiate on reporting who actually attended physically in class or virtually? I’m getting hung up on fact that a classroom has to be created for the event but there really is no classroom per se? I feel like I’m missing the idea of classroom being a tangible item. Am I making sense with this question?

Thanks I appreciate it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ncassella You don’t have to assign a venue (aka classroom), but you can if you want. You could assign a virtual session. The classroom can be a physical location, but as far as the LMS is concerned its just a name … kinda like a telephone directory.

Since the pandemic we’ve done everything via Zoom, but we still set our session to a venue. This is partly because we’ve configured it, and we haven’t integrated Zoom for the virtual session.

You do make sense, but perhaps overthinking it a bit. I took a quick look at the reports, and do not see a place where you can filter/view by location.  If you need to track venues, I’d consider having different sessions, and then report on the session.