Question

Notification Recipients: Branch and/or PowerUser Profile

• 7 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I will be going back and redefining my PowerUser profiles, and I’m trying to identify how many I need and I’m confused with the cross over of Branches and Profiles when it comes to Notifications.

When creating a new notification, I identify the specific Branch that notification applies to (our notifications are branded and specific):

The next step is to identify the ROLE.

DO I NEED TO CREATE A SPECIFIC POWERUSER PROFILE ASSIGNED TO THE BRANCH? Or will it only get sent to the PowerUser in the branch I identified in the step above?

I am assuming (I HATE TO ASSUME) that if I have a Profile called COURSE AUTHOR, and identify the Power User with that Profile, it will only send it to the PowerUser in the Branch identified above, and NOT to ALL COURSE AUTHORS.

Please confirm that this is like a Venn Diagram, it sends it to where all of these specification overlap.

Signed: Paranoid Sending Too Many Notifications

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Should just be power users within that branch so you should be ok here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @tschoone notifications to PU’s can be a bit tricky. I agree that it should only send to your PU’s under the branch you specified however I always recommend you test things thoroughly. This ensures it works as you expect.

When I test, I create a “test branch” (preferably in a sandbox environment if you have one) and assign it to a test user that has an email address you can receive, with the same PU permissions and who is also in the test branch. Do this before you activate the real version so you can tell whether it’s working the way you want it to. This also works with groups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

100% agree with the test, one additional idea, make an extra test user that does not fit the criteria you are using to make sure they do not receive the notice.