Question

Observation Checklist - Change of Manager

• 23 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi
How can Observation Checklists, previously completed by a manager, be viewed by a new manager that has taken their place?
It is not an option for us to reassign the checklist to the new manager and for them to then re-do it as the checklist relates to a competence assessment of an employee and we need to maintain an on-going record of competence assessments.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

following...great question...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Closest I could find on this but there doesn't seem to be nay way to transfer a checklist…

If your checklist is scheduled to be approved by the “direct manager” and not a specific person, what if the current manager rejects the checklist to allow the new manager to pick it up...could that work?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @lrnlab

I keep returning to Observation Checklists as on the face of it the OC seems like a useful function but I’m now wondering whether I am misunderstanding the point of an Observation Checklist?  To be honest I’m struggling to find any point to them at all:

• The recipient of the assessment (the employee) can’t view the OC
  • If the manager completing the OC leaves or changes jobs, the record is not accessible to the new manager and I assume this is the same if an employee changes team/job
  • Completed OCs can’t be printed

The above are not just ‘nice to haves’.  If an employee was dismissed due to a lack of competence and the case went to an Employment Tribunal we would be required to provide printed copies as evidence and the fact that the employee does not have access to the checklists would be procedurally questionable. Auditors also ask to see historical records of competence being assessed.

The Observation Checklist function has been discussed for a significant period of time in the Docebo Community and voting has taken place but there does not appear to be any progress or decision made.  I also chased it up with a Community Administrator but received no answer.

Are Administrators able to view completed OCs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree with your points...it’s not a super tool but it does work OK...It does need improvements...perhaps once we get there with the new Insights dashboard, we’ll more visibility to ‘others’ checklists and will be able to repot on them. The ability to print or at the very least export to PDF would be great to see as well.

https://community.docebo.com/ideas/observation%2Dchecklist%2Dreporting%2D1334

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab Are Administrators able to view completed OCs?

The OC I would like to set up is very short so, in the event of a manager leaving or changing job, if the Administrator is able to find existing completed OCs and replicate them for the new manager that may be an option as fortunately managers don’t leave or change job frequently.

You mentioned a new Insights Dashboard.  Will managers be able to view that Dashboard and is there info on this that I can read?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Maybe try impersonating the manager...that’s the closest I can think of.

As for Insights, we haven't got there yet in the project so not sure what will be available and to whom ...we should know more later this year as the roll out and updates continue.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @lrnlab  I would like to cast my vote for the Insight Dashboard being visible to managers.  Managers not having a Dashboard is a massive and obvious gap.😊