Best Answer

Power users and notifications

• 25 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Can anyone explain why our Power Users cannot see all notifications?  I have a power user profile which has NOTIFICATIONS: CREATE, EDIT, VIEW.  and has access to edit the courses that the notifications are attached to and the users.

They can see the course, they can see the enrolments, but the notification management area is empty.

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 25 August 2022, 16:13

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @KTJD this has been an ongoing challenge for us too. Typically when you create a notification for a sub domain, you need to be logged in under that sub domain so all the links are correct + the PU’s with access can see them. This has not always been consistent though. 

To get around this, I took the approach to impersonate a PU when creating them under the sib domain and that seems to allow them to hold and be viewed the PU’s. 

That said, it is not always a sure thing unfortunately. Sometimes, I’ve had to rebuild them from scratch to get them to show...but at least that’s pretty quick when copying the HTML code.

Userlevel 3

We’ve seen this as well. The documentation seems to indicate you can assign notifications to all branches and that PU’s should then be able to see all the notifications, but we have learned through our use of assigning courses to categories, that also has an impact. When courses are not properly assigned to categories in our system and a notification is added, its disrupts the access our PU’s did previously have to see those notifications. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just resurrecting this.  We are still struggling with this.  Can anyone tell me how i can give a power user visibility to previously created notifications?  They effectively have access to everything but their notifications screen is empty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@KTJD if even a single user, branch, course, etc. is not visible to the PU, the notification linked to any of those entities will not be visible. Hard to say without seeing your set-up whether you have it right or whether some entities are not visible...we have been struggling with this for years. 

Best I can advise is to start with a single notif and see if you only add courses and/or LP that you know are in all your catalogues and that all PU’s have access to view and edit, you might be able to find any gaps on the others. needle in a hay stack unfortunately.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is it maybe that they don’t have access to all of the branches affected by the notification?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Is it maybe that they don’t have access to all of the branches affected by the notification?

yes it can be the branch, groups, courses, learning plans, etc. anything the notif is to be used for needs to be accessible to the PU otherwise they cannot se the notifs. very strange but that’s the only way I got them viewable to all our PUs.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I have given the PU access to every resource and so far only one notification has appeared for them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Then you're on the right track...I went though this as well and had to dig through some courses and LP’s that were not correctly placed in catalogues in most cases + checking the PU’s resources tab. Support is not really any help on this matter unfortunately.