Question

Pre-course Opt-Out Quiz

• 26 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Greetings,

Happy Friday y’all!

Has anyone set up a learning plan or course so that if the user passes a quiz, it shows as completed?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Howdy and Happy Friday right back at ya.

You could use course equivalencies, once the quiz course is passed, the other course is marked complete...would that work?

Badge

Hi Jeanette. Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of going that rate, but was wondering if it would be confusing for the user to know that they need to go to the other course if they failed the initial course…

I do see that you can have a quiz be a training material that must be passed in order to complete the 1 out of 2 lessons in the course (with the video being marked as completed automatically). It’s not ideal, but it may be the best, if not most elegant, option. It seems like this is often the way with Docebo unfortunately. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Bkatzman  Yes I have.

I used 2 training objects in my  Docebo course.The first one is my Pre-Test. The second one is the course module (AICC package in this case). Both objects are set to ‘end object marker’. I did not use the prerequisites option, although I considered it. I also considered setting the Pre-Test to one time only view, but did not take that route.

I made sure to enable the table of contents so they could see that there are multiple objects in the course. I also put verbiage in the PreTest that told the learner what would happen….if you fail this test you have to click on the course and take it.

I tested using an internal “test” and a separate SCORM package for the PreTest. The user experience was better if I did the Pre-Test as a SCORM package. It’s just a course created in Rise that is essentially an instruction page and a quiz.

It’s not the smoothest option, but since the courses I am adding the pre test to are externally developed I didn’t see any way around it. If I had control of the course content, I would build the pre-test into the course instead.

Badge

Thanks so much @lhubbard for the detailed information. Can you give a litle detail on why the Scorm quiz was a better user experience than using the Docebo test, please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks so much @lhubbard for the detailed information. Can you give a litle detail on why the Scorm quiz was a better user experience than using the Docebo test, please?

Sure thing.

The internal tests are kinda“retro” in terms of what the user sees. Feels a little early 2000’s.

Getting the scoring right to show they had passed was more complicated than it should have been and I honestly struggled to get that right.

It took me 5 minutes to build a course in RISE and closer to an hour to build it in the internal test tool and I came out with a product that looked modern and cohesive with the course material.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Bkatzman You can also use SCORM packages with multi-SCOs where one SCO is the pre-test. You can learn more about this option at https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/golf-examples/ … probably not for the faint of heart 🤣, but it is an approach.