Question

Previous and Next Buttons

• 28 November 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

How do I activate the Previous and Next Buttons in a Learning Plan? I can see them on the screen when I complete the 1st video, but they are greyed out. I have a learning plan with 4 videos, and I want the user to be able to select next to go to the next video in the plan? I'm sure this is easy to do and I'm missing the obvious! 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @cathyp is your content marking complete? Do you have any pre-requisites in place?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, Yes, I have prerequisites in place. So when one is complete, I was hoping the user could press the “next” button to get to the next video in the sequence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

are your videos learning objects in a single course or 1 video/course? I think the PREV /NEXT may only be about moving to the next course, not the next object...hard to say without seeing your actual set-up

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ive attached a picture of my learning plan. Maybe that will help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

My understanding for videos and their completion:

“Video Completion

Video objects are marked as completed for learners using the following criteria
  • When the video reaches 15 seconds before the end marker if the video is longer than 150 seconds.
  • When the video reaches 90% of completion from the start marker if the video is shorter than 150 seconds.”

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020082860-Creating-a-Video-Training-Material-from-a-Video-URL

Userlevel 2
Badge

That would be great, but its not working that way. When the user finishes a video they have to exit the screen and go back to the learning plan and click on the 2nd video to play. And like I said, I can see the “previous” and “next” buttons but they are greyed out and not functional. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

not having any trouble with the “completion” part of the learning plans, just moving to the next video in the plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@cathyp - I think I got it - but I am kind of a newbie - and I am speculating. You created something that doesnt seem like it is possible to achieve without going out and then back in. Hear me out - I do think it is in your prerequisites and the order of evaluation of those prerequisites that could be forcing a learner to go out and come back in.

Question, are you finding people getting stuck at step 2 or step 3? With no next button in your courses?

Here are my thoughts - please know I am “I am guessing land”. If you cascade your prerequisites, to enforce a sequence, you only really need one prereq per course, you will have the same effect.

By saying you must have two or more done? You may be forcing the system to evaluate two completions before letting a person into the next one. But when you have a course player open? It is a special time for the LMS - completion is the most important thing for that session to listen to. If the system can only record a completion from the course player by going out of the course and forcing the evaluation after it meet the requirement? You are creating a step that does not seem like it is necessary. Evaluating less maybe the solution.

So course 1 has no prereq.

But course 2 should have 1 prereq.

Same should be for step 3 (only course 2)

And same for step 4 (only course 3) and (only course 4) 5.

I use only SCOs - but I am curious if that will improve the function.

I will test and try when I can.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I tried doing the steps above as you can see in the attachment. But still no next or previous buttons appear active. I took a screen shot so you can see the video is complete, but I cannot progress with the next button, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I see - thank you for the detail - and I guess I am at a loss? I would think the player would allow for a person to move around once they met the criteria for the course? I know that this does work with SCOs (SCORM objects).