Best Answer

Upload PDFs on Customized Page

• 10 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I work at a software company and we are experimenting with posting our release notes on Docebo. I am currently uploading the release notes into their own course, but I would rather upload the PDFs directly to their own widget in my customized home page. For example, in the empty space on the bottom left of this page. 

Does anyone know how to create a widget that allows users to open PDFs? 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 11 August 2023, 23:03

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

you could try using the iFrame widget if you have a sevrer to house your docs, or if you have Coach & Share, you're best bet is to create a Channel and post it there.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124219-Creating-and-Managing-Channels

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020079940-Managing-Discover-Coach-Share-Settings

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I would second the option of using channels!  It doesn’t require a user to enroll into a course, and you could use the channel as a sort of document library for your product, post up some user docs, known issues, etc!

We put our documents onto a server and link them on our pages, so users can view and download them if they want.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@lrnlab @Annarose.Peterson Thanks for your thoughtful responses. We are going to look into hosting the docs on a server and then linking to them with HTML or iframe. I looked into the Channels option, but it looks like this still requires the docs to be packaged as “courses,” which I would like to avoid. 

@Annarose.Peterson Would you mind me asking how you link to your documents on pages? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab @Annarose.Peterson Thanks for your thoughtful responses. We are going to look into hosting the docs on a server and then linking to them with HTML or iframe. I looked into the Channels option, but it looks like this still requires the docs to be packaged as “courses,” which I would like to avoid. 

@Annarose.Peterson Would you mind me asking how you link to your documents on pages? 

for Channels, you can upload your PDFs directly...no need to package anything...it may look like a course card but when clicked, it displays the PDF doc...you may want to try it out first before ruling it out...you wont need a separate server, iframe and then maintaining this links ion ever they change, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Since we already had a server to host documents and some courses, we were able to exercise the option for linking.  We use the Custom Content Widget or the Image widget, and where ever you are prompted to put in a link when editing the widget in Manage pages, you add the link to your hosted document.  We have them open in new windows so users aren’t taken away from the platform. 

@lrnlab is correct in terms of upkeep, when ever we have updates, we need to make sure the documents are updated correctly so that we don’t break any links. 

To @Annarose.Peterson and @lrnlab 

I have a question into Docebo as well, but it appears I don’t have the Discovery, Coach, and Share module so I can’t use this method.  Does anyone know why I don’t have it or another way to accomplish the same thing the original poster was suggesting without using an external hosting site?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

To @Annarose.Peterson and @lrnlab 

I have a question into Docebo as well, but it appears I don’t have the Discovery, Coach, and Share module so I can’t use this method.  Does anyone know why I don’t have it or another way to accomplish the same thing the original poster was suggesting without using an external hosting site?

Thank you!

Coach & Share is an add-on you need pay for...if you don't have it, all you can add to channels is your courses. Only the way to add PDF content without this add-on would be to include it in a course or link to it via a widget from an external server you and your org have access to. Hope this helps.

Thank you for that reply and what a bummer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

you might want to chat with your CSM to see what the prices are per user...if you intend to post a lot of this type of content, it may be worth it for you...we love using it...