Best Answer

URL Changes when adding Resource

• 17 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi.

Adding resources via Course Management - Training Material - Widgets - Additional Resources.

The URL changes when the link is opened via Learner:

……. id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0015342 changes to …...id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0015342

However, when the links are added directly to the resource Widget from a Published course or from a Learner view, there are no issues.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Is there a fix?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 19 October 2023, 15:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

that’s normal...the extra text you see is the HTML code for the symbol, “&”...should not be an issue...may just depend on where it's viewed  or the browser type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.  The issue is that it ‘breaks’ the link - so the page won’t open.  How do I stop this from happening? 

The link we are using is from an Internal site, not an external web-link - does this make a difference?

If I edit even the resourse name - it flips the weblink address back to ‘&amp’ - so users can’t open/see the content.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

what browser do you use? I wonder if it’s related to that...perhaps try coding your link with that entity or the HEX CODE version.

Hi @Irnlab,

Hm - I’m not clued up on Hex Codes etc - however I did spend time with Max via the Helpdesk and he’s riased a ticket as it seems to be another issue.

Thanks for your assistance.

V.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

What I meant was...what happens if you add the link with the changed text instead of the ampersand…

so your link would look something like this:

……. id=kb_article&#38sysparm_article=KB0015342

Hi,

Just tried that - and it switches straight back to ‘kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0016636’ as soon as I click the link in the Learner view…. plus when I go back into the link to edit from the Course Management page - it’s been switched to the ‘broken’ URL.

(to note - the &#38 links work just fine when I open from the CM view)

I have found an alternative workaround, convert the long URL to a TinyURL, thus removing the ‘&’ issue.

Thank you 😉