Question

Improving Accessibility

• 7 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello! Been working on a project to make content more accessible to our learners, with an emphasis on those who may need additional support. While working in Docebo, I’ve reached out to the Help Desk to find out that while subtitles can be added, there is no way to turn them off yet. 

Looking for any suggestions from anyone on other ways written text can be provided or even downloaded by learners from the LMS. I tried to attach downloadable transcripts by uploading a file as training material, but the process to download from a learner’s pov was rather awkward. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @zwu without knowing the type of content you are using, you do have accessibility options if you create courses using tools like Articulate and publishing to SCORM format...these tools usually provide you with the options to add sound, closed captioning, transcription files, etc. If that is not the case for you, we used the File Repository widget to hold files and resources that are a piece of learning content. Perhaps that would work your needs?

Thanks for the suggestion @lrnlab! I had no idea that there was a File Repository widget, and it definitely helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

What type of content were you adding accessibility features to? 

If it’s PowerPoint material, iSpring Presenter has an accessibility feature that is simple to use.  It creates an icon next to the presentation that converts presentations to plain text.  

@elamast it was primarily videos that we were looking to make more accessible. We use Camtasia to make videos and I’ve been using YouTube’s auto-generator for closed captions, but because I was told there currently isn’t the ability to toggle subtitles on/off, I was hoping to learn what other people might be doing.

The file repository was a suggestion that my manager and I both ended up liking as a work-around in the meantime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @elamast and did you also try the Subtitles option when loading videos? It requires a specific file format of VTT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebVTT). I haven't tried this yet but it does also allow you to load different caption files for each language...very useful in a multi-language environment.