Question

Notifications / E-Mails / Newsletter Video

• 28 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Has anyone found any creative solutions for including videos in an e-mail or newsletter since for some odd reason Docebo only supports .FLV (Adobe Flash) files? 

2 replies

Userlevel 3

Good morning @Ryanmm1123. I’ve worked on solving for this for a couple of years across various email platforms, but believe the limitation is most likely related to a hard limit related to file size (e.g. MP4 would be huge compared to a .FLV) or security concerns (e.g. unable to embed a video via iFrame in HTML inside the email body). One work around I’ve done in the past is to include a thumbnail image of the video with a Play icon in the center of it, that when clicked inside the email, links to a streaming media server or other player in a new window. Looking forward to hearing ideas from others!

Jason

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Ryanmm1123, I love the idea to incorporate video into your notifications and newsletters. Like @jason.moore mentioned, there are many limitations with “embedding” video in email outside of Docebo’s control related to security and file size constraints.

As a result, I second Jason’s recommended best practice: use an image in the body of your email with a play button to signify to the recipient that the content is playable, and link that image to an embedded video that’s hosted on YouTube, Wistia, Vimeo, Vidyard, etc. Here’s a list of the most popular video hosting platforms.

I’d also like to share with you a great resource shared by @SuperShaune that you can use to format your newsletters for maximum engagement from your learners. This template could support our recommended solution of linking a static image to a video. Hope this helps!