Question

.swf Flash files

• 1 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3

As much as I’ve been trying to push away from  using Flash, we have a compliance vendor who had not converted files for flash out of a course. 

Is it possible to add .swf as a trusted file in Docebo?

Unfortunately pushing back removing .swf from the course has not been working and one of my groups that needs this is asking this next Plan B to allow the course loaded.

Thanks for your help!

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

One problem you’re likely to run into is that Flash support was been withdrawn by Adobe and most browsers.  There is an alternative (Ruffle) you can use until you can get the course redone in HTML5:  https://ruffle.rs/

Userlevel 3

@elamast  that is what I  have been telling the group and the vendor regarding Flash for the last several weeks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@elamast  that is what I  have been telling the group and the vendor regarding Flash for the last several weeks. 

If you need to move to a new vendor, I’m certain there are some good ones following this thread who would be happy to help. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JenniferJames - hey not for nothing? Trying to make a modern platform support flash? Is beyond a losing proposition. All of the security vulnerabilities related to it was the reason that literally the world gave up on it.

Take my advice? From some who lived through a boatload of content migration…Push back. Draw the line. Drop the vendor. You don’t have the time or staff to support something that literally the world does not consider to be part of a modern browser architecture anymore.

Listen old IE is going defunct - don’t find yourself supporting that (choice word…choice word) either.

SMEs need to understand that best in class SaaS are supported by what modern browsers give them.

Or? They should consider older solutions and have an ever growing need to scale an IT team to support  an LMS in a local data center.

I am sorry if I sound passionate about this. I come from a Healthcare space that typically is notorious about being 5-7 years behind modern IT architectures. I have worked at places that go through aspects of a digital transformation. Your Docebo instance should be a pivotal part of that moment - not stuck with someone else’s content problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Fully agree with all what was said above. And even if there would be a way to somehow publish the swf, no current browser/system will be able to replay it.

If the Flash part doesn’t require a lot of interactions, and if they still have a way to play it on the screen, maybe you can use a screen recording tool and capture it as a mp4 video, and use that instead.

Userlevel 3

Thank you all! Vendor was pushed to move to HTML5.