Question

Too Many Courses on Landing Page

I want to create a landing page that has one folder. Learners click on it to be taken to the required course. When they exit and return at a later date, they click the same folder and are taken to where they last left off. Right now, learners have to sort through many courses to figure out which to take next. I have created prerequisites, and that helps. 

7 replies

Userlevel 4

You could create categories and then filter the catalog by the categories. From there, you can have it hyperlink to the filtered catalog. I do that for something we call our Skill-Its and it makes the content a bit more digestiable instead of looking through the entire Main Catalog. 

Not sure if it would give your desired result but an option to try!

dandrews, thank you for this suggestion! I am going to try it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Could you also just do essentially one learning plan “wrapper” in the order you want and just link to it from a home page tile, next course is clear in that view. I know people think of set learning plans as the defined way, but since. You can put the same course in multiple, you can kind of make one for this purpose. 

@dandrews May I ask how did you get the ‘Categories’ appearing besides the ‘Filters’. I do have many course categories, but unable to figure out how to show only the categories in the main page. I want the learners to click the categories→ select the individual category→ Course tiles appears under the selected category→ upon selecting the course tile, the course is started. 

Many Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 4

The category must be selected in the course properties. 

From Course Management > go to the course > select the cateogry. Tie it to a catalog. The category will not appear unless a course is tied to it. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks @dandrews I have checked my courses. They all have the category field updated in the course properties.  I was thinking, can we achieve this using ‘Page’. When I added the ‘Course Catalog’ widget in the page, it is showing all the courses in each of the categories. I do not want this view. 

I want the page to display the 5 tiles (for each category). When a learner clicks each tile, he/she will be shown all the courses in that category. Not sure how this can be done. Let me try :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @banashree to expose Categories to users on a catalogue page/widget, you will need to turn on an option to show Category Tree under Advanced Settings (note: if you are using Extended Enterprise, you can turn this on/off for each domain)

as for displaying curated search results on a page...you can perform a search yourself and use the link to create a page that will display those results to users.

Once you have enabled categories in your catalogues…

Hope this helps.