Best Answer

Unpublish Course

• 11 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Is there a simple way to “unpublish” a course or do I need to actually archive them and remove them from all channels and learning plans?  I know I can flip them to “under maintenance”, but those are still accessible.  I would like to keep course info, but make it unaccessible to users.

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by Annarose.Peterson 11 October 2021, 23:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If there is a better, way, I’m all ears!  We have been marking them “under maintenance” and removing from catalogs, then adding “INACTIVE” to the beginning of the title and even moving them to an “INACTIVE” category for good measure (the last part is just too keep the admin side from getting cluttered).  We do the INACTIVE part on the title to make it clear to anyone that can still see the course that it is no longer being used (so they don’t just get a padlock on it and wonder why it’s not working).

If there is a better, way, I’m all ears!  We have been marking them “under maintenance” and removing from catalogs, then adding “INACTIVE” to the beginning of the title and even moving them to an “INACTIVE” category for good measure (the last part is just too keep the admin side from getting cluttered).  We do the INACTIVE part on the title to make it clear to anyone that can still see the course that it is no longer being used (so they don’t just get a padlock on it and wonder why it’s not working).

Thank you.  I like adding the INACTIVE portion so anyone who stumbles upon it will know not to access it.  I was thinking of labeling ti also with the course title of the course that is replacing it (assuming there is one.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

For some courses, where we want to direct users to the “replacement” course, I have put information in the course description before with a link to the new course, as well as a note in the title, such as something like “(see description regarding newer version).”

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here is a thread where folks have discussed their different methods of archiving/unpublishing courses.  This has some helpful information about some of those methods for making courses unavailable to users:

Here is a thread where folks have discussed their different methods of archiving/unpublishing courses.  This has some helpful information about some of those methods for making courses unavailable to users:

Thank you!

Userlevel 4

@sjennings78 are your users able to see the course description? I did the same and put in the description a statement that this course had a new version and a link to that one but when our user clicks on the course it is locked and won’t open to show the description.