Question

Chromebook Compatibility

• 3 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello. We are using a Docebo learning platform where the learners have to download a Word document from the course, fill it out, and the upload it to the course.  Here’s the problem.  We are using Chromebooks.  We are able to download the documents to the Chromebooks and open them, using either Microsoft 365 and Google Docs.  The problem is, is that we are unable to edit the documents.  The seems to be some kind of text box on the documents preventing the students from editing them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is a duplicate post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @briany,

is making the word document into a pdf form a viable option for you???? I would imagine the pdf will improve compatability

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If formatting out the document differently, I would think exploring a completely different method like a digital survey method in place of the document would be better overall since you could skip the download/upload process entirely. 

It would be useful to see a version of the document/more info as I put in the other version of this post though. This sounds more like an issue of the process/Word/Document than a Docebo one, so it would be useful to help torubleshoot to see a version of the doc.

Thanks for replying to my question.  Bfarkas, I’ve uploaded a a document for you to look at.  I appreciate your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So it looks like the issue is that this word doc was created using form fields in word, but in a way that office online does not seem to support. If I open it on a desktop app it works fine, if I open it in online app it won’t let me modify in the fields. Are these coming from a vendor? They look like they are and the vendor should prob update them in a way that would allow for web apps to edit them. This is definitely an issue of the document though and not docebo doing anything to them.

Thank you Bfarkas.  Yes, this is coming from a vendor who used Docebo to create their online course.  They were not able to help me, so I figured I would go directly to Docebo to solve this problem.  I was directed to this online forum.  I am unable to download the desktop Word app on the Chromebook.  If there is a way to do this, I would appreciate if you would let me know.  Thanks for your help Bfarkas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No, you can’t download Word desktop on a chromebook, they use the online versions. The problem is the way the vendor built the word documents combined with chromebook usage, its not a docebo functionality issue, its a word online plus edit controls issue which I do not believe office online plans to support anytime soon. The doc may need to be converted into an editable pdf as was suggested earlier, or some other format.