Question

Earth just shook on the East Coast at 10:20ish. Armageddon? Did Docebo crash a server??? :)

• 5 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

No joke. Whole house kinda shake. Happy Friday!

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Oh my, where are you located?

My first earthquake was the one near Culpepper, Virginia. Apparently due to the structure throughout the northeast the shaking propagation was much further than on the west coast.

It did do a bit of damage, but it also resulted in a meme

I’m in Texas now, so I am not much help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It was just a little west of me. Not bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/05/us/earthquake-new-york?smid=url-share

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh, Milanta … you all should live out west. 🤣 Earthquakes were the things that pushed me to a BSc in Geology as my undergrad. Probably have gone thru a dozen or so in my lifetime. The biggest was the Mt. Borah (7.9) in Idaho back in the early 80’s. Was laying on a waterbed studying when it struck and the waves in the bed tossed me. Grabbed my 18-month old son and ran over to the Geology department at Boise State (we lived across the street at the time) in time to see it start to come thru on the seismographs. Very cool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette - we have something in common. I have a geology degree too. Do people with geology degrees go into learning management for a living?????

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@dklinger WAY COOL!!! I think you are only the 3rd or 4th person I’ve met (outside of my family … we have 3 others) that even knows what geology IS. 🤣 Where did you go to school?

I never really worked in geology cause in the 80’s the only jobs were in hazardous waste (in Seattle where I was living), and I still wanted to have more babies. So I migrated to technical support (for software), and then tech writing, and then training, and then LMS Admin. So I kinda got here ‘naturally’ … I’m just basically a geeky nerd (or is that a nerdy geek).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Right so I went to school in the 90s and early 2000s part-time for it (making a buck was important at the same time as learning).

I actually worked at my university (Queens College, CUNY) as a lab tech for a good 5 years before realizing I could get paid doing (guess what) acting as a lead for training and technical writer for a home grown ERP that was built out internally at Mount Sinai Medical Center in NY. I worked with that IT group for a good six years and dabbled more into project management and change ctrl practices until 2012 - when the company did its first enterprise-wide deployment of a learning system and I got turned onto managing a learning implementation in a big way. 8 years doing that, surviving and thriving after a merger was one of the greatest gigs of my life. Impacting a lot of folk (a workforce of 40K) with learning became the name of the game. All literally naturally occurring as well. 

Over the last 3 years...I have hung my hat at OPKO Health as they needed to kickstart a centralized learning practice and learning management was going to be a central part of that strategy. And the rest is history.