Question

Articulate Rise xAPI Completion in Docebo

Userlevel 1

Hello Docebo Community, 

Anyone uses Articulate Rise to export xAPI content into Docebo and is having issues with completion synching in Docebo? 

This issue is sporadic for us. Some of our learner’s view is 100% on the content side but its not updated on the platform. 

Any information is greatly appreciated. 

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi!  We had that problem too.  Since we couldn’t replicate the issue reliably, tech support wasn’t able to give a resolution.

As a work around, we have stopped using the xAPI format for Rise courses.  If you export them as a SCORM file, they seem to work fine.  

Userlevel 1

Hi @jdclark2, thank you for your response. I’m relieved to know that we are not the only clients of Docebo & Articulate experiencing this issue. I just submitted a ticket to Articulate. Do you have happen to have any insights from your Articulate representative?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I didn’t really have much luck from either angle - Articulate or Docebo - because the problem happens sporadically.  If you can’t pinpoint the conditions that trigger it, they don’t know what to fix.  

I suspect that it happens when the user starts the course, closes the window, and comes back to it later.  However, I was never able to prove that for sure.  

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Docebo for bringing this up to Articulate. 

Articulate submitted a fix for this issue on July 12th.

https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Version-History

https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-360-cmi5-Output-Doesn-t-Report-Completion-or-Success-Data-to-the-LMS

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ochang - thanks for the update

Userlevel 1

Wait. So xAPI works in Docebo? - I thought if you wanted to use xAPI properly, you go get your own LRS and can set up an export (of at least Storyline) to that LRS.

(cavet: outing myself as a noob - in Docebo & xAPI (not Articulate 360) )

Userlevel 1

Or I guess because of: 

Does THIS (above article) mean the xAPI data DOES get to Docebo in the form of cmi5?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Wait. So xAPI works in Docebo? - I thought if you wanted to use xAPI properly, you go get your own LRS and can set up an export (of at least Storyline) to that LRS.

(cavet: outing myself as a noob - in Docebo & xAPI (not Articulate 360) )

@Alison- Docebo has its own LRS. You can establish it as an endpoint. Or you can directly import the xAPI output from Storyline. Here is the reference.

Userlevel 1

@Alison- Docebo has its own LRS. You can establish it as an endpoint. Or you can directly import the xAPI output from Storyline. Here is the reference.

Thank? Buuuut the reference doesn’t (does it?) talk about getting to your xAPI statements? 

Like back when I was first trying to figure out what Docebo Supports xAPI really means.

My CSM/acct mgr girl can’t give me a straight answer.- and the last thing she said was Docebo doesn’t have an LRS. (but now you say they do).

Which, back when we were onboarding the onboarding girl check the xAPI [STUFF] and got this from my onboarding girl from via a Senior Technical Resource:

“The LRS exists because it’s an industry standard and it basically serves the purpose of a data repository for xAPI course data. It consists of tables within our Database and has an API endpoint that can accessed directly. It’s sort of independent from our LMS data in that we don’t necessarily make that data available to the LMS admin, or our reporting tools. So there is no dashboard within our application from it at this time, however, clients can write to the LRS endpoints and place data there from their xAPI and draw it back out if desired with their own tool or third party tools for the purpose of creating other dashboards.”

So DOES Docebo put executed xAPI statements into tables within [their] Database, that you have to go in with a third-party tool to “write to the LRS endpoints….and draw it back out”?

(sigh) I’m so confused now. :/

Alison

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Adding color to this. I imported a Rise Course in xAPI into the Central Repository.

And it seemed to have worked well.

I tested a course and it passes some of the regular inspections:

-bookmarking yes (but at a lesson level)

-triggered a completion yes

-showing a score no

-courses completion criteria = purely count of slides

-course has an exit course button = yes

-course has a submit button = none

-can see any of the xAPI statements with the training materials tools = no

-can reset a training material = yes

-can reset a course enrollment = yes

I would love to see if I can get to the LRS now. Will give it a shot.

Userlevel 1

Hello Docebo Community,

Anyone still having issues with xAPI completion? I’m still experiencing them and refreshed to get a fresh export from Rise 360. Hopefully that fixes the problem. 

I wonder if anyone was able to close the loop on this one. I’ve put a few tests together to try to extract statement from the LRS endpoint that Docebo provides and do not receive any sort of response form the server. I may be doing something incorrectly, but I am using the libraries provided by Rustici which work against their sample LRS sandbox so I should be able to get some basic data.

I have a feeling this is a feature that is not really supported. Fortunately I have another option, which is to have the SCO’s that I need to track data from send their statements to a 3rd party LRS but just wondering about the option of querying the Docebo LRS directly. In a different post int eh communities someone had implied they were able to get dat a from the yourdomain.docebosassa.com /tcapi/statements endpoint.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

May I ask if the issue with xAPI is not resolved yet? We have been receiving complains recently where courses do not automatically mark as completed.

Thank you.

Hey there, Yes, I have pretty much figured out something that works for us. We need to send a xapi statement to a specific lrs, however, we can control the security on that lrs so I won’t go into explaining to you how I would authenticate with the external LRS if we needed to authenticate, but it is possible. Here are the basics of what I’ve found.

• You can create a custom xAPI module that sends statements to a secondary LRS. In my case, these statements don’t get sent to the Docebo LRS but I do send a completion statement to the LRS to let the LXP know my learners are done the module and it can then provide a paper certificate. To do this, you will need a good understanding of xAPI ad javascript and I’ve found that the xapi.js library is the best for me and this article by Devlin Peck to be really helpful as well.
    • Note that in my case I am able to host the xapi object on an external server, which makes it a lot easier to maintain and can facilitate secure auth and different data transfer methods if needed.
    • As a functional prototype, I also used Alchemer to present a simple interaction via iframe wihtin the xapi object. In my case its essentially asking them if they want to report credits for the learning they just took and the credit portion of the statement uses results and extensions in the xAPI data model. Alchemer takes care of passing the data to the third party lrs via server side post… you don’t need to use something like Alchemer but it was really useful to create a proof of concept quickly.
  • It is also possible to connect to the Docebo LRS with a tool like postman to look at all the statements being sent to the Docebo LRS and test out different queries. This means that tools like MS BI and other tools can be connected to the data store (either as an extract or dynamically I think) but Docebo only puts Xapi statements into its LRS for xAPI modules (I think)… so your analytics would need to be focused on those types of interactions and you would need to be strategic in your approach to what you want to measure that relates to Docebo.
  • It’s not possible to send statements to the Docebo LRS from an external source easily - at least in the various ways I tried, although there could be a way. You would need to create something server side to deal with auth and use the Outh features in Docebo to connect. By the time you do that, its likely much easier to just use the Docebo xAPI but it really depends on whether you want an LRS centric approach to data analysis or to use built in Docebo options, which are great!

Would be happy to work with you more in detail in the future given I’m departing my current organization at the end of May, 24 and will be open to opportunities.

Hey there, Yes, I have pretty much figured out something that works for us. We need to send a xapi statement to a specific lrs, however, we can control the security on that lrs so I won’t go into explaining to you how I would authenticate with the external LRS if we needed to authenticate, but it is possible. Here are the basics of what I’ve found.

• You can create a custom xAPI module that sends statements to a secondary LRS. In my case, these statements don’t get sent to the Docebo LRS but I do send a completion statement to the LRS to let the LXP know my learners are done the module and it can then provide a paper certificate. To do this, you will need a good understanding of xAPI ad javascript and I’ve found that the xapi.js library is the best for me and this article by Devlin Peck to be really helpful as well.
    • Note that in my case I am able to host the xapi object on an external server, which makes it a lot easier to maintain and can facilitate secure auth and different data transfer methods if needed.
    • As a functional prototype, I also used Alchemer to present a simple interaction via iframe wihtin the xapi object. In my case its essentially asking them if they want to report credits for the learning they just took and the credit portion of the statement uses results and extensions in the xAPI data model. Alchemer takes care of passing the data to the third party lrs via server side post… you don’t need to use something like Alchemer but it was really useful to create a proof of concept quickly.
  • It is also possible to connect to the Docebo LRS with a tool like postman to look at all the statements being sent to the Docebo LRS and test out different queries. This means that tools like MS BI and other tools can be connected to the data store (either as an extract or dynamically I think) but Docebo only puts Xapi statements into its LRS for xAPI modules (I think)… so your analytics would need to be focused on those types of interactions and you would need to be strategic in your approach to what you want to measure that relates to Docebo.
  • It’s not possible to send statements to the Docebo LRS from an external source easily - at least in the various ways I tried, although there could be a way. You would need to create something server side to deal with auth and use the Outh features in Docebo to connect. By the time you do that, its likely much easier to just use the Docebo xAPI but it really depends on whether you want an LRS centric approach to data analysis or to use built in Docebo options, which are great!

Would be happy to work with you more in detail in the future given I’m departing my current organization at the end of May, 24 and will be open to opportunities.

Sorry I meant “use the Docebo restful API” at the end.