Best Answer

Assign courses by job title

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a best practice on auto assign courses, according to the employee's job title?  Thank you

icon

Best answer by KPohlmann1 16 March 2023, 22:05

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 2

Yes!  I create an group for that job title then create an enrollment rule.  Not sure it’s a best practice, it’s just what I do for it.  :)

Userlevel 4

As @KPohlmann1  mentioned that is the way to go.

We added an Additional Field to the user profile (User Role) that we then make a drop down list of the available roles. Each role triggers automatic addition to a group based on branch and roll. Then Automatic Enrollment takes it from there enrolling the user in one or more Learning Plans (in our case, bt there are other options).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

just be sure that your job titles come from a proper source as if you use text based entries, these could be prone to spelling errors, etc that could exclude a user from the group...If you have job codes, numbers usually work best...really depends on your source data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Better practices involve a level of notification as well upon being enrolled. What you say in the message is up to you, but we notify on enrollment to a specific group is the way we roll with auto-enrollments.

Userlevel 4

We created an additional field for job titles and import them from our HRIS, then create groups and enrollment rules.

You can also create groups for people who tree up to specific managers, but this is not as recommended because people turn over more often than job titles.

Userlevel 4

@lrnlab true, that is why we use drop down menus. To @dklinger point a user is then notified when they are enrolled in a Learning Plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You may also want to manually enroll current group members in addition to setting up an enrollment rule for future group members. Enrollment rule only covers the future not the past. 

Userlevel 4

You may also want to manually enroll current group members in addition to setting up an enrollment rule for future group members. Enrollment rule only covers the fire not the past. 

Good callout. We use Initial Hire Date or Current Position Start Date for this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We created an additional field for job titles and import them from our HRIS, then create groups and enrollment rules.

You can also create groups for people who tree up to specific managers, but this is not as recommended because people turn over more often than job titles.

We handle this the exact same way for internal employees.

For our external users, we have an additional field called “Primary Learning Persona” - for each of these we have job responsibilities on a one pager so that our partners and clients can select the one that best fits their job role. ex. Account Manager, Project Manager, Business Developer, etc.

Userlevel 2

Thank you Everyone, I will start with Groups.  WorkDay is the feed and it has given alot of different titles. I will look at adding common titles together.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you Everyone, I will start with Groups.  WorkDay is the feed and it has given alot of different titles. I will look at adding common titles together.

If you need help looking it over, feel free to send me a zoom/teams/etc invite, I’d be happy to help!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Automatic group based on job title field.

Enrolllment rule based on group membership.

Tada!

@rtomchuk we assigned a unique DM Code to the each manager as a special field, and that code was attached to their team members as their DM Group in a separate special field. Each manager has their own group and the condition is “User additional field DM Code contains ABCD-####” and that has helped us to automize the manager/team relationship from the user management.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Leverage user additional fields, automatic groups, and enrollment rules. We’re doing this both at the group and branch level for automated enrollments.

We also use additional fields on the user profile to add learners to groups automatically and then use enrollment rules.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Our organization has hundreds of job titles, and this has been flagged as an issue that affects learning plan assignment. It will take a few months for HR to untangle the overlapping job titles internally.