Skip to main content

As a newer Docebo admin, I’m working to develop a system of course codes, learning plan codes, certificate codes, and more. However, it seems to me that a course code serves a different purpose in Docebo from certificate code. Is that true?

• Should we align our certificate codes to run in parallel to the course codes?
  • Do the code fields on different types of resources (courses, learning plans, etc.) interact/interfere with each other?

I found this conversation quite helpful when thinking about course codes!

Best Practices for Course Code Naming Conventions | Community (docebo.com)

I use a simple lettering code to identify the asset type...e.g.:

• CRS = Course
  • CAT - Catalogue
  • LP = Learning plan
  • SVY =. Survey
  • TEST =. Test,
  • etc.

and the final codes usually have other identifier from the asset title or name, e.g.:

Employee Privacy eLearning course = CRS-EL-PRIV-2023

you can always change these in the future if you find better coding methods

Thanks @lrnlab! This helps answer my question, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. Why do you differentiate between assets with the asset prefix (CRS, CAT, etc.)? Is there really ever an instance where you’ll confuse the two?

Thanks @lrnlab! This helps answer my question, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. Why do you differentiate between assets with the asset prefix (CRS, CAT, etc.)? Is there really ever an instance where you’ll confuse the two?

not really but it helps with reports...it’s a practice I started long ago and it help to easily identify the asset type. We also have many sub domains with admins that create and manager their own content, so in those cases, we ask that use a dedicated prefix when coding assets. Usually 3 or 4 letters identifying their company name; this is mostly for searching and sorting as a superadmin. Also use that with notifications to identify the type and to whom it’s being sent, etc. (e.g.: User enrolled in a course = CRS-ENROL-USER)

Got it, that is helpful, thank you! Do others have systems they like to use with asset/resource codes?

Thanks @lrnlab! This helps answer my question, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. Why do you differentiate between assets with the asset prefix (CRS, CAT, etc.)? Is there really ever an instance where you’ll confuse the two?

not really but it helps with reports...it’s a practice I started long ago and it help to easily identify the asset type. We also have many sub domains with admins that create and manager their own content, so in those cases, we ask that use a dedicated prefix when coding assets. Usually 3 or 4 letters identifying their company name; this is mostly for searching and sorting as a superadmin. Also use that with notifications to identify the type and to whom it’s being sent, etc. (e.g.: User enrolled in a course = CRS-ENROL-USER)