Question

Is it possible to remove the Share Content and Ask the Expert icons from the Channels pages?

• 17 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We would like to launch using channels but at this time we do not want to allow everyone the ability to upload content or ask questions on the platform.  We would like to remove the two icons that show at the top right for sharing content and asking the expert from the All Channels page and the actual channels when they are opened up.  Does anyone know how to do this? 

Because they are built in there isn’t an option to turn them off like you can when you build your own page.  I could build my own page though it would mean a lot of manual work and then when people click on the channel they would still end up seeing these two icons.  

We could launch with them there as I know we can restrict who shared content but the challenge is that it is still there, the user can still click on it and go through the motions of uploading but then they get to the end and there is no channel to add it to.  So if I can restrict it why can I not just remove this as an option to avoid confusion?  

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @pcarr not as far as I know...the built-in pages are not really editable...however when you create custom pages, you can decide whether to show those icons or not so you might want to create a custom Channels page and see if that works for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I think you’d need to do that via the css, it should be possible, but we haven’t done this ourselves….sorry I can’t be more help.

Maybe ask your customer rep or the helpdesk?

Userlevel 2
Badge

From what we are seeing (my internal CSS guru) this may be an all or nothing - if you remove it in one place you remove it all over which is not what we wanted either.  Thanks all

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any good way but I would still advise to build your own Custom Page.

If you simply create a custom page, disable the buttons there, add one widget for Channels and make it display All Channels, it’s not that much work. Shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes and pretty much looks the same.

It will still show the buttons inside of the channels as you said, but not on their main page so maybe you will avoid at least some of the questions.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was able to do this and yes it is all or nothing but we were happy with that.  It was thru a CSS code