Skip to main content
Content Management

Change the owner of an asset when you need to delete a user

• 25 May 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello, my name is Marco and I’m PM for Discover Coach and Share

I’d like to share a tip about how to manage a very common use case with a functionality we recently released: Change the owner of an asset

This feature was in direct response to the following idea

Let’s imagine that Mario, working for your company, has shared in different channels very interesting assets.

Mario has resigned, you have to delete the user, but you don’t want to delete all the content that was shared by Mario.

This is the standard behavior of the platform, if you delete a user his assets get deleted too

You don’t want to make Mario inactive, because you don’t want him appear as a contributor.

Now you can reassign all the assets shared by Mario to another user, for example Luigi 

Here is the step by step process

Go to Channel Management and select the Assets tab

In the Assets tab select the filter Contributors and search for Mario

TMZxPcBr_E7pPZoN2iUWokYwVJJ0Gt1kEhTGITjTNyVALuBehrm3O-Ut1JLcA0-OyVQG0VP89X7oQqAjfgTWfRVogJJOCHdosFCbbBWVsqbbs14dnLC-9jyEQdioF62eE7MnkSuWJf_Puj2e_w

yKYPi5F-NIPxXPGWy6ZVDEczqg15Wdso0ivZXch7OW8OVNu8mG9Na9lKxGGHHz9sxnCUhsBUmrV-DnN5pDeFZJQF78Yf5srPKG9zcRAv4f0ojGt8jCmJa-lkOClO-vQFrIN8374UyNejSZ5upQ

Then, you can select all the assets and select Change Contributor

t4k5AkIB-ivc1WECPGXDrdd_6aaNIVPfwv65qmdAe0vIYIYKikXPxUEecflaZT09gvk3QcTojoxH999rxz_8yiNiR1yGs_S1FA0klrNILpwU0_OijG7yl4UdaxKK_Q15R_lvxOFSyRexrtWXlg

_ywqH9E_2-36ZLRUNpwJHWS0jVwbYyweOatDduRG7CVoTDjG6_7Rt-QBrER6OiLNKvhiU0in7Pld_E2JBuWqdorQdzlVafFCMIPAtzhxlNWTFxBylcP5LiE7xKZWHgCsesY3yFfTEjYBwH52PQ

You can then select to whom these assets should be assigned

XLvo5UIm6uIGqzAn3JNHqYjZUU-IysPKJjWsVtJD8P8X8zbH9OO6bRMWYBd1bw2coTT4tD10RIItEMIuuyRPbFdg0WGxv8q7oJqMKBiBtWLC5aWrX0LlNa7z7MYGaQy8zNkJ7tjcD1pteJICLQ

3hAqitzwxOR4oc1aFIJowA-mMNkgrvoO2UvlS55ngc8oTqujxlTR461nbUQR1SXk79jUZYVS_WZ43jVhSk_LL_FpGvDKlIHtVJ1cTJUxLXDykuHnI_VjJkvHFPr5lel_PXZ8ajK09G2xk1NeIA

In this case, Luigi

Selecting Update will reassign all of the selected assets to Luigi as a contributor and you can delete Mario without losing his contributions

⚠️ A few things to keep in mind:

If you reassign to a user with a limited visibility, the visibility of the assets will be adjusted accordingly (in simple words, if Mario has shared an asset in 10 channels, Luigi can see only 5 of these channels, the asset reassigned to Luigi will be shared only in the 5 channels Luigi has access to).

After the contributor is changed, learners will always see Luigi as the contributor. However, Superadmins and Power Users always have access to the initial contributor of the file to allow proper tracking. You can view the initial contributor in the Shared with People tab of the asset when editing it.

PpcLWrpmSaDUReI794-uC4TA_qeyFrZ6Y1D08xoA-3goIPPjvifQFEKb39NjbQjQEz1r0I5JfeAlb-HU4mZZmjSwjjxxK3i72M977li4kZoMb-9QlfN37Q20gRLaCglCoQ4hwLjYb_OUnCH5TA

If you reassign an asset that’s only visible in one channel, and the new owner doesn’t have visibility to that channel, they will only be able to view and edit the asset via My Channel.

Tdt3PH2RLWH063mgrkeO6bTgSAPmf7IjNFkOlX7dIRwypdIuq4nOwtGH6GQ-KZB7VxKTTkUALC0rRHQo-U8UwwDQajqYjiN0plJeN6v2Gkb0iXbxpYTGFwkFMe0ZbDNJvM6k5adB77rHwMfItQ

Is maybe a co-owner role planned for knowledge assets? Doing so, you don’t need to care, if one of the two or more users left the company. Looking forward for a short feedback in regard.

I’m curious why these instructions are not in the Knowledge Base. It was difficult to find this.

@Marco.T The screenshot you have used here are not longer visible. I would like to highlight @albb’s comment here, that it would be really helpful to enhance the knowledge base article with a dedicated section, including a GIF.